Hello again!  I realize I haven’t updated in nearly a month, and I don’t think I will be able to update again until at minimum next Monday.

I performed “Children Will Listen” on Halloween.  I did better than I have any other time I’ve performed it for an audience, but I’m glad to be moving on to other things.

After Much Ado About Nothing ended, I felt like I noticed that my vocal quality improved.  I don’t normally think of speaking as being tiring, but I could definitely feel and hear a difference once I’d had a few days without a rehearsal or a performance.

I’ve been doing a lot of practicing of my own things, especially in the last two weeks.  I’ve been working on a few theatre related projects that have required voice.  Most recently I’m directing a 10 minute play and my actors have to sing a union song to the tun of the “Battle Hymn of the Republic” so I’ve spent the last couple of days trying to organize that.  I spent a few hours yesterday and this morning trying to make videos with chord approximations, so that the actors would have some idea of what the song will sound like when they’re singing along to instrumentation.

Apart from that I’ve also been working on a couple of pieces that I’m not sure are right for a studio class. One’s an older country music piece called “Leave the Pieces”.  I like it a lot, and wish I had time to coordinate with a fiddle player.  I’ve been playing out chords on the piano, but it’s not the same.  It’s a lot of fun, but easy to sing poorly if I’m not paying close attention to my technique and/or I haven’t warmed up properly.

Another piece I’ve been hammering out is “Sound of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel, again on the piano.  I really love the way this one sounds in my voice, and most of the time it comes out really easily.  Next week while I’m home, I’m going to see if I can find accompaniment for it.

“The Solomon Song” is the next “sanctioned” piece I’ll be working on.  I like “Children Will Listen” and “Mandoline”, but it’s great to move on to something new.  It’s going to be tricky, but I know I can have it ready for the final studio class.  Also, as much as I enjoy playing the piano, and singing at the same time, I know my singing is more technically viable when I’m standing, so I’m excited for this challenge!