What Exists Here?

by Jensen Pennock

Jensen's having one-one conversation sessions with one of the roommates, at Sarah College

Jensen having one-one conversation sessions with one of the roommates, at Sarah College

Ceiling covered in flickering pin pricks of light
Walls made of stone and dirt
Surrounded by clouds
Floating above the world

Majestic mountains tower overhead
Eyes trained in front of me
Stopping to bask in the sunlight
Then marching ahead to the beat of my heart

This world is so vast
Difficult to comprehend its complexities
Yet standing within its beauty
I feel so connected

So much mystery
In these mossy rocks
And cloud covered valleys
Magic must exist here

I wrote this poem after a weekend trip of hiking around the foothills of the Himalayas. Poetry isn’t something that I have written very much of, but it seemed like the best way to capture the feelings and ideas that arose from this trip. We hiked around three hours (I think) uphill to get to a beautiful site called Triund. Some of us continued to go higher after a while and some of us decided to head back down. I was in the group that headed down, and this poem was inspired a lot by the mystical feeling of walking down the steep, rocky trail surrounded by clouds. The entire experience was very mystical and allowed a lot of us to have an amazing shared experience (and the rest of the group that hiked farther up had a bonding experience when there was an intense storm on their way down). All of the experiences that we are having here in India are inspiring and life changing, but this was special. Like the end of the poem says, it truly felt magical.

Chilling at Triund

Chilling at Triund