A4 Of Math

September 6, 2018 Off By Huy

Explain why sine waves are important in the study of electronic music, and music in general.
Almost any physical instrument system can be described by vibration of a frequency, a sine wave, which means that we can imitate any musical tone by manipulating the sine waves.

As much as possible, explain the trigonometry of the sine wave, and share with me if this consideration is a struggle for you (e.g., “it’s been a long time since I’ve done trigonometry, and I never really got it the first time”). Trust me, you’ll get this, we’ll review and go over it and it will be OK. I’ve seen it before.
Ok I signed up for music and somehow I’m doing math. I feel cheated. I don’t know how to explain the trigonometry. The sine wave fluctuates over time so here’s an equation to emulate it? The math behind it is sound and tested so it will work.

“Finding the Sine of an Angle within the Unit Circle.” Can you summarize this? Have you run the Max patch, and did this help you to understand it if you didn’t understand it before?
Run the second Max patch. What do you glean from this patch, what is it trying to demonstrate?
I ran all the patches. Basically, it means what the y value is at x timestamp. I don’t get why the max patches are here and how they help.
Additive Synthesis/Harmonic Series Page

Can you explain this sentence early on in the page: “However, what we perceive as equal musical intervals do not correspond to equal changes in frequency, but rather equal ratios of frequencies.”
A note goes up in octave by powers of 2. First G is 100hz, next G is 100*2^1 which is 200, next is 100*2^2 which is 400.
We will discuss this much more in class on Thursday, but try to describe, if you can, the way the sound changes when you ‘mess around with’ with relationship of the partials.
Each time a change a harmonic amplitude too make a combination of 2 whole numbers in a ratio, it creates a ringing effect because they blend well together.

Can you make sense of the nature of the four essential sound waves: Sine, Triangle, Square and Sawtooth? Look at the charts and try to describe what you see regarding the harmonic content of the upper partials in relationship to the fundamental. Play the Max patch.
The steeper the waves, the more round ratio they have, hence more harmonics and sound buzzier. Sawtooth has all the harmonics so it sounds buzziest, sine wave has the least harmonics, so it blends selectively.