MMWC Project Proposal

MMWC Project Proposal

Grace Jencks

For the remainder of the semester, I will work on a series of short compositions in Ableton Live. I have the goal of creating four short pieces of varying styles, though I may surpass that number. I think this kind of project will be valuable to me because it will allow me to experiment and gain knowledge about a variety of ways of using Ableton and making computer music. I have some basic ideas, which will be more refined as this project develops. I would like to work on another short dubstep piece and expand on the knowledge that I gained before in the project. I would like to have other pieces that involve vocal recording. I want to include some element of live performance (i.e. more than just pressing the play button). I listen to a lot of electronic music and so I want to see if I can use the some music I listen to as a source of inspiration, by using some of the elements these musicians do. In this project I will deeply listen to Flume, Skrillex, Zedd (not the one that’s in our class), Daft Punk, Radiohead, Avicii, Disclosure, and more. The instruments I use will largely be dictated by the style I am in. I really like the instrumentation these musicians use. I specifically like Skrillex’s beats and want to adopt that, as well as potentially vocoding that Daft Punk uses, I like how Zedd manipulates vocals in a rhythmic fashion. These are all things I think would be great to learn.
After the concert insanity I will begin focusing more on these projects. I am not sure if I will do them sequentially or work on them all at once. The latter may be helpful, as what I learn creating each piece can help inform the others.

By Friday the 4th, I will have put in as much time as I can, given the craziness on concert week.
By Tuesday the 8th, I will have put at least 6 hours into these works.
By Friday the 11th I’ll have put another 3. By this date also I will have all pieces started, hopefully one or two completed. I will have a clear vision of what must happen to complete the rest.
By Monday the 14th, I will have put in 3-6 more hours, based on what is needed. By this day all of my pieces will be complete or very near complete with extra time on Tuesday to tie loose ends.
I will be ready to present on Wednesday the 16th.