Voice Practice 11/12/18

What Time I Practiced: I was in the voice studio from 6:00-6:50 P.M. Julia was also with me.

What I Practiced: I started with warmups and practiced deep breathing at the same time. I forgot to do lip trills, but I will do them in my dorm tonight, and when I practice tomorrow. I then went straight into singing my song All Through the Night, since we have to perform on Wednesday. Julia also gave me tips on how to keep breathiness out of my voice and told me what she noticed in my singing. She also had me sing while doing a plank for sustaining. After she left, I continued to sing my song and tried it at various volumes. I also listened to Skylark and Blue Skies to decide which one I wanted to sing. I also added breath marks to my song.

What I Thought of What I Practiced: I am feeling better and better about breathing low. My throat was definitely tight when I started warming up, but I could feel it loosen up over the session. I felt good about my song, but as we’ve spoken about earlier this evening, my throat and lymph nodes did hurt afterwards. Besides that, I was really trying to evoke some kind of feeling with my song. I sang it quieter as if it was a lullaby at first. However, after noticing an exclamation point in the second verse, I decided to go for a more passionate feeling. As for technique, it was all about keeping breath out of my voice. Julia commented that I seem to have breath in my first note, and then catch myself, so I was really focusing on my moment of suspension. She also wanted me to sustain more, so I was trying to keep steady breath throughout each phrase.