Book Work 10/31/18

Chapter 6 Questions

Principles and Physiology: “What are the primary functions of the larynx?” The larynx protects foreign objects from entering the lungs; retains inhaled air for thoratic fixation, which is used for times of heavy lifting or challenging physical labor; and produces the vocal tone.

Vocal Tone: “Are you aware of vocal onset and release as you sing?” I definitely think about the onset when I sing. In fact, it’s usually the main focus when I start singing. I try to have a balanced onset by using my moment of suspension. I rarely think about my release, so it is usually controlled by my onset. If my onset is breathy, my release is breathy, and vice versa.

Chapter 7

Classical Singer: Pretty Yende. She is singing opera. I can definitely hear her move through many vocal registers. She moved from a very high note to a quite low note and I could almost physically see her adjust her throat. Her voice is most relaxed in what appears to be her mixed voice. Her voice is beautiful, but she sounds much more strained at the highest notes. However, it is hard to actually hear any transition between registers. Even in her highest register, she still has a clear and strong sound.

Pop Singer: Ariana Grande. She is singing her song Dangerous Woman acapella. The difference between her registers is more clear. Her chest voice is significantly less airy than her head voice. However, her voice is very smooth and lacks a lot of stress and tension. Her voice never breaks, but it is strained as she reaches higher in her chest register. She also adds a lot of jazz elements to her voice. I did not hear her use falsetto here.