Xavi’s Do’s and Don’ts

DO: Find new perspectives! Try not to look at things one way. Try shooting your subject while you’re high above them, or down below. Try rotating around your subject playing with different shadows and lighting. Trying different angles will help you learn find the most aesthetically pleasing shot.

DON’T: Get stuck on one genre! One big obstacle I had to get over was shooting one kind of photograph. I’d only shoot up close still life scenes and close up photos of my mothers garden. My girlfriend then pushed me to expand. So I started taking more landscape photos, I learned to find huge scenes instead of focusing down on the little details. Trying out different genres will expand your photographic abilities making you a more versatile photographer.

Do:Try and take a picture everyday, even if it’s on your phone. This will strengthen your photography skills and help you add to your never ending portfolio. This will also help you find more ways to see things as interesting photographs.

DON’T: Get stuck behind the lens! Don’t forget to take a step back from your camera and just take in your surroundings. Observe a little before you shoot or in between a couple shots. You’ll notice things that didn’t stand out during your first glance. You’ll see lots of interesting things and you’ll start to notice just how much is going on around us, even in the quietest places.

DON’T: Be afraid of Instagram and other quick photo-editing apps. They’re useful for when you need to snap a quick picture and the filters just add some flavor to your quick picture. Also useful for keeping up with taking a picture a day.

DON’T: Lose your lens cap!

DO: Try and have lens wipes or lens tissue when you take your camera out for a shoot. Don’t want any smudges or dusts potentially messing up your photo!

DO: Be careful when shooting around water. Nothing worse then dropping something important.

DON’T: Rush a photo shoot! Take your time so you can get quality photographs. Just like every other art form it takes time to produce well made work. Your photos will always tell if you rushed to make them.

DO: Show your friends and family! Showing off your work will get you feedback on your strengths and weak areas. Don’t be too shy to show off your work. All feedback is good feedback!

DON’T: Leave your camera lying around. No matter where you are it’s probably not the best idea to leave your camera or equip laying around, anything could happen to it. I’ve learned my lesson not to forget stuff,it threw me into a panic. But luckily there are a lot of good people at Earlham and I was reunited with my camera!

DO: Show your camera come love and care every now and then. Give your camera a good cleaning every now and then and inspect it making sure everything is how it should be. Don’t want something malfunctioning in the middle of a shoot!

DO: Read about famous photographers! See what kind of photographs the masters of photography were creating in their time. Find your favorites and try emulating them. This is will help you find your own unique style.

DON’T: Let vacations go to waste! Vacations or anytime you go someplace you usually don’t are a great way to expand your portfolio. There is always something new to photograph when you travel so don’t let those scenes pass you by.

DON’T: Stop flowin’!