Thesis

Hulse’s chapter on Beethoven’s Egmont in his thesis outlined his points very well. His writing style was a little casual and included many sentence interruptions such as “, it would seem,”, which disrupted the flow of the piece. In addition, he stated many of his opinionated sentences with an “I believe” or “I think”, which takes away from the certainty and confidence in his own beliefs. The structure was very clear, he had a introduction, mid paragraphs, and conclusion, with many figures to reference such as charts and musical passages. His paragraphs followed a claim, data, warrant pattern, allowing readings an easy path to follow to understand his thoughts. Many sources were used, and most of the people referenced were criticized. Hulse would often bring up a critique and say they wrote something about the topic, then comment on how they failed in something of the matter. A criticizing tone was in place, however it aided in painting a clear picture of what he wanted to say. Another point used in his writing was the concept of “In this chapter, I will…” or “I aim to…” which I found a little repetitive and dragged out. Instead of discussing what he is going to do for thirteen pages, he use the first few to do so and the rest for his analysis. On a positive note, his musical descriptions of Beethoven’s music were helpful on both levels of technical and imagery terms. The providing of musical passages allows for a clear visual to assist in giving the readers examples. Finally, Hulse has proven he has a deep love for the word “indeed”. It is actually my favorite word, however he took it too far by using it 46 times in the chapter.